CAD programs such as AutoCAD develop with computer-aided design in mind. Many production and construction companies utilize AutoCAD to design floor plans and blueprints. In the beginning, the software was developed as a standalone application for microcomputers by Autodesk.
The program eventually became an OS-based program. A web-based version of AutoCAD develops under the name of AutoCAD 360. A DWG file was created in AutoCAD. Google and Last Software initially created SketchUp, a 3D modeling-based design software. The program is called Google SketchUp software.
Today owned by Trimble Inc, modeling in SketchUp can be used in civil and mechanical engineering, filmmaking, and more. Besides its free web-based version, Sketchup also comes with a premium version that adds more features. SketchUp files have the extension.SKP and saves in the SKP format.
- SketchUp is a 3D modeling tool that enables you to create models according to how they would appear in real life, whereas AutoCAD is used to design and draft 2D designs.
- You may customize AutoCAD designs precisely according to your needs by using the various features and plug-ins. It is time-consuming to learn AutoCAD because of this. While SketchUp is simpler and easier to learn, it has a complex interface.
- When it comes to rendering details, AutoCAD is superior to SketchUp. AutoCAD models can effectively reproduce shadows under various lighting conditions. Compared to AutoCAD, SketchUp designs are less detailed, and it’s obvious a software design involves.
- Twelve extensions have been developed for discipline-specific applications. There is no separate vertical in SketchUp for each application.
- Users cannot upload their designs to the AutoCAD library for sharing. In addition to SketchUp, 3D Warehouse offers a wide array of designs that are uploaded and downloaded every day by users.
- There is no direct Internet import in AutoCAD. To load it into the software, you must first download it to your computer. The SketchUp software can directly read and load files as large as 50MB and download them later.
- SketchUp does not offer a student discount, while AutoCAD offers a cheaper student version.
- Despite its large set of integrated plug-ins, AutoCAD does not support third-party plug-ins. Autodesk App Store is the only place to download plug-ins. The Extension Warehouse, a site hosted specifically for this purpose, hosts third-party plug-ins that SketchUp may use.
- Besides the ten languages included in AutoCAD documentation, more languages are available as well. At the moment, SketchUp is available only in nine languages.
- The UI of AutoCAD can seem cluttered at times since there are so many tools available. Users can quickly become familiar with SketchUp due to its comparatively simple UI.
AutoCAD & SketchUp both provide great tools for designing different things in an effective, professional manner. As with AutoCAD, SketchUp allows you to design 3D objects and render them on a world map, along with 2D and 3D designs in the areas of civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and architecture. Based on your work and your client’s needs, you should select software accordingly.
AutoCAD is software that engineers and architects use when designing floor plans for large designs. Meanwhile, if you are a filmmaker, graphic designer, or engineer designing parts in 3D, SketchUp is the right tool for you. SketchUp is cheaper than AutoCAD financially. AutoCAD, however, offers many more customization options than SketchUp.
Each platform works very well, and both are great. SketchUp and AutoCAD can both be learned quickly and do not require much training. What you find more suitable for your needs ultimately depends on your preferences and requirements.